« Home | My Alamo » | The Rapture » | Bedouin Soundclash » | Futuro » | Mistake Us For Friends » | Reuben » | Le Reno Amps » | Popup » | Drive By Argument » | Au Revoir Simone » 

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 

Dumb Instrument

March 22nd, Oran Mor

Tonight I find myself stood within the heart of Glasgow's West End for Dumb Instrument's "Song Ya Bass" single launch . Having done a bit of groundwork on an act I was unfamiliar with, and finding myself presented with music that wasn't exactly my cup of tea, I entertain no big hopes of really enjoying the show.

Luckily however, the band thoroughly surprise me. Everything about them is unique, from the way they grace the stage, to the way in which their songs tread a fine line between ample tunesmithery and short social commentary. Covering topics ranging from Oor Wullie to Wheelie bins, and Death to Cliff Richard (a song so good they play it twice!) they manage to have the crowd listening intently one second then laughing at singer Tom Murray’s dry wit the next. There's little in the way of banter, and you get the feeling that Mr Murray isn’t entirely comfortable on stage , but the songs more than make up for that.

The set draws sadly to a close only for the crowd to demand an encore which is albeit hesitantly obliged. After this the band politely offer a reminder that there is a single available to buy and exit stage to a rapturous applause.

I walk away from Oran Mor feeling happy that my pre-conceptions about Dumb Instrument were entirely wrong. Having thoroughly enjoyed their melancholy yet upbeat set, I would recommend that anyone who has the chance to see them on their upcoming tour should take advantage of the opportunity.

Dumb Instrument's new album will be out this summer on Hackpen records. They play King Tuts 3rd May.

Words: Andrew Mitchell

Photo: Jamie Gibson