« Home | Tennents Versa Acoustic Launch » | Y'all is Fantasy Island » | The Magic Numbers » | Auto Rock » | We are the Physics » | The Fratellis » | Duke Special » | Classic Grand » | Mogwai » | Bert Jansch » 

Thursday, January 04, 2007 

Recliner

Classic Grand

Frantically hurdling through the back end of a wet Glasgow in search of the Classic Grand on Jamaica Street, where Recliner were due on in five minutes, I was relieved to spot the flamboyant lights of the venue, shimmering over what looked to be the rougher end of Glasgow. With absolutely no preconceptions of where I was I entered the club with an open mind and was once again dazzled by the luminous lights inside blaring onto a well polished dance floor. I was greeted by a half empty room of scenesters wearing fancy clothes. Finding an open spot right in the center of the dance floor, I began to feel slightly conscious of being extremely under dressed. I waited there a few brief moments for Recliner to make their entrance.
Right from the off start you could see that these four clean cut 20 something years olds have no pre-discussed style. They all have different dress sense and it’s easy to tell that they’re definitely no one man band. Kicking out their first tune they blew the whole audience away, my self included. Fast guitar and heavy drums rapidly thrashing reminded me of early Strokes and I began to feel like this gig could turn into something special. The response from the audience at the front was a clear indication that Recliner have a few die hard fans, whilst the equally positive response from the back of the room suggested that they can easily win new ones over.
After the initial boom of their first song faded away Recliner produced a series of well written, slightly softer indie ballads that show off their individual technical talents and ability to perform tightly as a group. By combining a few nifty guitar solos, a drummer who likes to bang, an amazingly agile dancing bassist and a singer who can pull more shapes than play dough, Recliner successfully managed to keep their audience in a constant state of awe and wonder.
I left the Classic Grand with a feeling of satisfaction. The thought that I may have actually witnessed something worth while pressed on my mind as I strolled through some dark lanes back to central station. In a genre of bands that work mostly to formulas and generally sound the same, Recliner have enough of that little difference that makes them at least worth a listen. Hats off to you lads.

>Michael Tod