« Home | Guillemots » | Hanoi Rocks Launch Party » | Morning After Girls » | Yeah Yeah Yeah's » | Invisibles » | Hazey Janes » | T Break » | Colette McKendrick » | Star 69 » | The Streets » 

Thursday, June 01, 2006 

Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly!

>> King Tuts
>> 1st June 2006


Entering King Tuts for the umpteenth time, I wondered what was in store for me. With a name like Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly, I was half expecting an overzealous, teenage “rock” band with meaningless lyrics and crazy hairstyles. Boy was I in for a shock!

Sam Duckworth took to the stage quietly, guitar in one hand, microphone in front, and introduced the voice that will, no doubt, soon be taking the music world by storm. Not just the voice, but the melodies instantly caught the audience’s attraction; there was a stunned silence as every head in the room focused on the small, simian like singer.

Following his quiet opener, came “I Spy”, a song that is now becoming more familiar with radio listeners across the country. With a melody that would rival even Damien Rice’s music, I began to wonder why I hadn’t heard more about this little piece of magic.

Further compliments include the confident way Sam addressed the audience; he introduced his songs with anecdotes, some witty, some more controversial, but all in keeping with the overall relaxed tone of the night. He also managed to include political statements; “Glass Houses” was written after an encounter with the BNP.

Highlights of the night included “The Lighthouse Keeper”, a gem of a song which showed off his understated yet powerful voice, and the toe tapping “Call me Ishmael”, which is released on the 10th July.

I left Tuts desperate to hear more, and my advice to everyone is Go. Download. Now!

>> Jill Harkin

www.getcapewearcapefly.com