« Home | East vs West » | Mandrakes » | Kobai » | Welcome » 

Saturday, January 28, 2006 

Drive By Argument / Flying Matchstick Men

>> Nice N Sleazys
>> 23rd October 2005

One records sure are doing things the right way. As well as El Presidente being F*CKING EVERYWHERE with their album being released a few weeks ago, One records have signed three of the most promising young bands in Glasgow – Drive By Argument, the Flying Matchstick Men and Fickle Public. As I arrive at Nice N Sleazys and eventually get to the front of the enormous queue, the guy on the door writes the word c*nt on my hand instead of the usual crummy hand stamp. I can tell that this isn’t any ordinary Sleazys gig, and these are not any ordinary bands.

Drive-By open the show with their usual swagger (slightly curious as to why they are starting the show, I later find out that this is because most of their loyal fans need to get the last train back to ayr), and already start to show more maturity than the fragile band I saw a few months back at King Tuts. Songs like Eye Fish Star Fish Eye, and Most Guys Can’t Dance, I’m Not Most Guys (blimey…) stand out from the polished set, and Drive By Argument now appear ready to take on any crowd and on any stage.

As far as stage presence and stage performance go, I honestly cannot tell either way. The combination of the huge crowd and annoyingly placed pole just in front of the stage makes it impossible for me to see anything at all, except the odd glimpse of bass player Ryan Drever’s head as he throws himself around the stage with that I’ve-just-climaxed look on his face. But I’m guessing, like all of us, that he’s just enjoying the music.

I’m sure I’ve said this hundred's of times before, but the standout song yet again, is Lower Your Pieces. I dare anyone to try and write a better melody line than this. Its just a fantastically well written song that evolves like – I could easily write some sort of pretentious, w*nky sounding simile here, but just trust me on this one.

The set closes with another stormer, debut single Sex Lines Are Expensive Comedy – released on the 7th of November. Seemingly on repeat on every radio station in the land, it has been described by Zane Low as the ‘future of Scottish music’ and on tonight’s evidence, I can see why. They are, without doubt, the most exciting band in Scotland at the moment.

And so to the Flying Matchstick Men. A disco rock 5-piece that are possibly the only local band in Glasgow who could follow Drive By Argument after a superb show like that. If you haven’t yet experienced the FMM then you’re in for a real treat. Front man Graham ‘f*cking’ Peel (his words, not mine…) is an absolute star. As much a comedian as he is a singer, he is the complete entertainer and with songs like Duvet and All Your Secrets getting everyone in the mood for some sleazy dance moves, they cap a storming night of local talent.

Expect huge things from these two bands next year.

Two of the best bands in Scotland.

Joe Sach

Online:
http://www.drivebyargument.com/
http://www.flyingmatchsticmen.com/
http://www.onerecords.co.uk/